In the video A World of Gestures, people from all over the
world demonstrate the remarkable diversity of international
gestures. Can you guess the meaning of this Japanese gesture?|
In A World of Gestures, this woman from France demonstrates
this gesture. Can you try to guess what this French gesture means?|
In A World of Gestures, we see this gesture performed by a
woman from Iran. Can you guess what this Iranian gesture means?|
1. Is there a 'universal language' of gestures?
2. At what age do children first learn about gestures, and when do they become fluent at performing them?
3. Do all cultures have at least one obscene gesture?
4. Does the same gesture have radically different meanings in different cultures?
5. Can gestures serve as secret messages or as signals of group membership?
6. Do some cultures have a unique catgory of gestures--one that expresses an idea found in no other society?